Fred H. Olson's bio page
Fred H. Olson List manager of COHOUSING-L Updated a little June 2011
fholson at cohousing.org email list. Some more current info in Fred's BLOG
(612)588-9532 urban / community activist
near north area of
Minneapolis, MN 55411 USA Internet advocate
Picture of Fred 3/98
About Fred; Some things I am:
I manage a number of discussions and announcement services on the Internet using "mailing list" (listserv) systems.
For an introduction to what a mailing list is see: About mailing lists.
I now do this as Communications for Justice - justcomm.org
The main list I manage is the Cohousing-L email list.
I started it in Oct 1992. As of 6/11 it has been stable at about 800 subscribers and 100+ messages per month.
Some other things I do / participate in:
I have done:
Written by Fred H. Olson fholson at cohousing.org
- Former contract computer programmer (embedded systems in FORTH)
- In 1996 I "published" Tom O'Connell's PhD Thesis on the WWW.
History of the Farmer-Labor Movement
- In Feb of 1999 I particpated in a week long Circle Peacemaking
training. I maintain a little circle web site and announcement
mailing list. See
- Twin Cities Cohousing Network
- Community computing Twin Cities Freenet
- South High School where Andrew was in class of 2007 in the Open Program
- In June of 1999 Fred (only) spent two weeks in Sweden and Denmark. Most
of it was touring cohousing with 7 other American cohousing enthusiasts.
See: Denmark cohousing pictures.
I also visited relatives and attended three Midsummer celebrations in
Gagnef in Dalarna area of Sweden and visited cousins in Denmark also. In
Nov. 1999 I made my pictures and the cohousing pictures (above) into
a computer based "slide show". Fred's 3 Window DK99 trip slide show
Fred's DK99 trip slide show
- In April 2000 I participated in a weekend Hopework folk school
retreat I think people interested in folk schools
have a lot in common with those interested in the circle process.
- Formerly involved with food coops and community orgs of various kinds
- Renovated (did the work) our house '77-'80 thru Urban Homestead program